About ABC Centreville
We are a cycling club with a strong racing history serving Manchester and the South Pennines, with members taking part in the full range of cycling activities from road races, time-trials, sportives and audaxes to trips away and relaxed social riding. You will be able ride with and learn from our very experienced and successful members, including Mandy (world road race champion now riding socially), Louis (currently winning road races), Dan (currently smashing it on the TT scene), and Steve (recently selected for UK team for vets world road race championship) along with other ex-internationals and those just out for a chinwag on wheels. If you’d like to get stronger by training in a group, whether you are interested in racing, recreational events or relaxed social riding you are welcome to come and give us a try. Contact us and we’ll point you in the right direction.
Saturdays – 2 options:
- 8.30am start, from Rochdale Town Hall or Todmorden depending on route, around 100k (winter) or 110k-160k (summer) with a café stop, 15-25mph depending who comes, all welcome, no-one left behind: “A bit of banter at a decent pace.” Contact Owen Malkin before coming the first time.
- 10am start, Littleborough Square outside the Wheatsheaf (see map in sidebar) leaders Dave Grogan, Nick Holmes and Rick Clough 40 – 60km brisk hilly training ride with café stop, aim to be back in Litleborough by 2pm. Not suitable for beginners.
Sundays- 3 options:
- 9.00am from from Littleborough Square outside the Wheatsheaf . Friendly 30-50km hilly ride at relaxed social (B) pace. Please get in touch before turning up To get a flavour see these reports.
- 9.30am from Littleborough Square outside the Wheatsheaf. 40-100km hilly tempo training ride (A). with café stop. Map in sidebar, not suitable for beginners. Contact Dave Grogan
- Monthly 8.30am from the Gardeners’s Arms, Manchester Rd. Heywood a fast tempo ride (A), 100km-plus, usually without a café stop (Ad-hoc, mainly in the off-season, contact Danny Shackleton and Jon Taylor). Map in sidebar.
Wednesdays – 2 options:
- 10am from Littleborough Square outside the Wheatsheaf. 30-40km with café. Tempo ride. Map in sidebar.
- Wednesday evenings before the club night at Heywood Bowling Club there is a brisk 40k training ride (unless the weather is really bobbins – ask Steve and Ben about their memorable blizzard in December!), meeting at the Winston Churchill, Bury Rd. at 6.45, mainly valley roads. Contact Ben Pilkington first, usually arranged through Whatsapp group – other nights by arrangement.
There is also a fast training group on Thursday evenings in the spring and summer, often riding round Saddleworth. If you want to check before coming, get in touch. The ‘A’ groups ride at an average speed of 14-19mph over hilly Pennine routes, faster on flat and rolling roads. A ‘B’ group is gradually forming, going at around 12-16mph on hilly roads. There is currently no ‘C group’ for social rides at 10-14mph, but get in touch if you’d like to organise one. Click on the + below for more details of A,B and C rides – we’d like to see you there.
The ‘A’ group from Littleborough ride on Saturdays at 10am, Sundays at 9.30am and Wednesdays at 10am, at an average speed of 14-19mph over hilly Pennine routes, getting back to Littleborough in the early afternoon. Smashing up (or down) Strava segments is sometimes a feature, and although we try to re-group it is good to make sure you ask the route and café stop before starting! The ‘A’ ride from Heywood on Sundays (mainly off-season) is usually 100-160km at tempo, without a stop – so make sure your fuel is well organized! There is a fast training ride on Thursday evenings in the spring and summer meeting at 6.30pm at the bottom of Huddersfield Road, Newhey. Dave Grogan and Rick Clough are the main organizers – contact them to check.
The social ‘B’ group ride at an average speed of 10-15mph on hilly routes on Sundays, meeting at 9am on Littleborough square and getting back by 1pm-ish. We like a variety of routes with beautiful, quiet and testing roads and good cafés, and we always re-group and make sure no-one gets left behind. First riders to the top go back to the last person. Friendly and enjoyable riding. See here for reports Get in touch using the contact form please.
There is no regular ‘C’ group at the moment, but if you fancy organizing a group to ride more slowly and socially, get in touch.
Early 2018 rides and events here
Centreville training routes mapped on Strava
Most common ‘A’ group Saturday and Wednesday Ride is variations on: Littleborough-Bue Ball-Luddenden Foot-Midgely-Hebden Bridge-Cragg Vale-Littleborough.